The aims of this law against the trafficking of migrants are:
- to prevent and fight against the illegal trafficking of migrants
- protect the rights of migrants who are being trafficked
- promote and facilitate national and international cooperation with the aim to prevent and fight against the illegal trafficking of migrants in all its forms.
“Illegal trafficking of migrants” is defined as “to ensure, with the purpose to have direct or indirect financial or other material benefit, the illegal entry in a State Party of a person who is neither a citizen nor permanent resident of that State”.
The Law contains 37 Articles divided into seven Chapters covering:
- General provisions
- Investigation techniques
- Infractions and penalties
- Measures for protection and assistance
- National organs for coordination and international collaboration with regard to the illegal trafficking of migrants
- The process regarding the return of migrants who were illegally trafficked
- Final provisions